From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:56:29 -0500
For the first 10 years or so that I was on the FML (from the very
beginning) I read every single post, but later I did what many others
do and skipped some posts. It's easy enough to scroll. People just
forget that it is an option and often a very good one. (And at this
point some will skim, some will skip, while others will read)

What people want from a list differs a LOT among list members. Although
there are exceptions I have noticed that many people who still are
relatively new to ferrets are more commonly making observations which
are normal, everyday things for those who are used to ferrets (though
not always, and it's fine anyway because it is still learning), while
those who have had ferrets for a long time often have a greater
interest in the sorts of information that are very difficult to find
elsewhere. Personalities vary a large amount, too. Hey, the world is
in technicolor and full of facets...

So, what bores ones type of reader pleases another, and very much vice
versa. Some love baby talk posts while others hate them (or can't even
read them due to mild dyslexia making the spelling alterations
inaccessible) and others absolutely love or hate posts that are more
scientific and give links to study references to read. Some are not
ready for novel topics because they are still learning basics, while
others know the basics so thoroughly that those types of posts become
terribly repetitive.

Others skip specific authors. I know there are people who skip me,
which does not bother me unless those same people later expect me to
take time from my way, way too busy schedule to re-answer questions
which I have very often already answered, and there are some who ask
such questions repeatedly instead of using archives only to find that
in recent years I simply do not have the time. There are also people I
usually totally skip, though on a rare occasion a sentence will catch
my eye while scrolling.

That is not just true on the FML but also on other lists where the
degrees of experience, the personalities, and the backgrounds of
readers and contributors vary greatly. Those with long experience
can go weeks or sometimes even months without something new to learn
appearing, BUT at the same time newbies can be overwhelmed IF all
posts are read by either.

Yet, that variety can be a good thing. It reminds people who have many
years with ferrets what sorts of information others may need as their
learning progresses (to each lesson and its nuances its own times...),
it shows people who are new to ferrets what sorts of things they will
later also need to learn to best protect their ferrets, and it shows
the range of differing experiences and of resources so that newbies can
see to not panic when someone insists on an absolute, while learning
over time the ranges of degrees of caution to take when needed. Also,
with such wide variety it teaches some tolerance and it builds some
friendships, but we all at times find ourselves upset about points or
assertions that we feel need public clarification for the sakes of the
ferrets and ferret people for any of a number of reasons, as well as
finding ourselves on the receiving end when others disagree with us.
Those things happen with and to all of us.

Another thing those who are not used to lists will find is that at
times friends of a number of years will flame other friends, sometimes
out of the blue. I've learned that usually means those people have
something going on in their private lives, sometimes which they have
kept private, but which has created a strong subconscious need to let
off some steam, and after a while they know who is safest on that score
as a target because certain friends have a lot of forgiveness in them.
Obviously, many of the disagreements on the FML are not among friends,
but some are although the casual observer often won't know which is
which.

One reality is that we very often don't know what others are going
through offline. One person's life may be going fine, but someone else
may be going through something that is difficult, either difficult for
that person's age bracket (since we vary here from minors through
seniors) or things that are difficult for any age bracket. Some may be
in mourning (which can go on for years with gradual improvement when
key family members are lost), or coping with health problems (their
own, or those of loved ones of any number of feet), or economic
struggles which lead to hard choices so that ferrets and people will
still get essentials, or any number of other things.

That excellent lists like the FML and FHL have easily searched archives
makes information gathering far easier (links always in my sig lines,
and the FML link always in its header while the FHL link is always in
the homes). Thanks to those who create all such resources.

So, if something bores you, or whatever (depending on your personality,
desires, dislikes, and your own temporal and emotional needs at a given
time) then scroll, scroll, scroll. I sure do. Later there are always
archives if needed.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/