From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:26:23 EDT
Its been a while since posting about the shelter goings on.  Many of you
may not be interested but for those who are here goes!

Its been quite busy here with ferrets comming in by the buckets, it
happens this time every year.  The excuse of the month is ...."we have a
new house, we can't take the ferret(s)".  Its very sad to see these 5-7 yr
old ferrets uprooted from their families because they are not good enough
to bring to a new home.  Well they are good enough to be in my home!  We
have taken in 211 ferrets to date.  Adoptions have been good but the last
few months have been very slow, we average 1 adoption per week.  I have
had some wonderful friends that have taken in some special need ferrets.

The last ferret brought in was a 4 month old blaze, a Petco baby, they
returned her because she stopped walking.  Well I wonder why, could it be
the spinal cord injurty that has left her paralized from mid body down?
She is worse that Drag and Slim were, she has no feeling at all in her
rear paws, she can not urinate on her own and just poops everywhere.  I
have set up a special cage for her.  She has the love for life that Slim
and Drag had so euthanasia is not an option at this time.  She comes home
from the hospital today and I'll be taking care of her needs as best as I
can.  I have been through this twice now and its so close after losing
Slim that its breaking my heart to have to do it again.  But its not her
fault she is this way and deserves to be happy for as long as possible.
I named her Meadow Soprano, she is beautiful, and strong.  Pics will be
up on my website soon.

We have many for adoption, fostering.  Evander, the one eared ferret,
Bigfoot with 3 legs and his sister Matty, Pissant a huge 10 month old
sable mitt, Hog and Chopper a wild and crazy pair of 2 yr old brothers.
Cruella, impounded twice in Cali for biting, thanks to Robin from FA, her
life was spared and she is here with me.  she bites but also loves to be
held, needs loads of TLC.  there is Al the 3 yr old DEW, owner has a new
home, so he needs one too, Prozac, Coolwhip and Kleenix just many of the
adrenal ferrets awaiting surgery, getting Lupron in the meantime.  All
came in together, owner has no time or money for them.  LOL, I told her
to look around did she see a money tree here, or does she think I have 48
hour days?

So as you see, we have wonderful ferrets here.  I'm in a big house with
plenty of room, they are happy and loved but need forever parents, or
visitors to give them extra lovins.  That could be you making room in
your heart for one more, or time in your busy schedule for a few hours of
ferret lovin.  A few things we are in need of if you can help out, old
baby blankets, towels, hammys, Nutrical, Yesterdays News UPC codes.

I love being here for the ferrets but it makes me so sad to see these
guys come in looking lost, looking for their families, some going into
shelter shock, having to be hand fed and medicated, as I beg them to get
better, that it will be ok, that I will love them til a forever home
comes along, some listen and some don't.

Take care,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"
P.S. Annie Bones sends her love, she is to busy bossing the boys around
and didn't want to give the shelter update!