From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:50:21 -0500
>From:    "Bryan H. Hall" <>
>Subject: Fredonia Ferret Failure... and my last post.

Bryan

PLEASE do not beat your head against a wall for your decision on not
continuing with a Fredonia ferret.  There are just some ferrets, as there
are cats, dogs, and people, who can not be worked with or have problems
deeper that what we see on the exterior.

I have been working with ferrets since 1985.  The first ferret I cared for
was over a year, unaltered, kept in a packing crate infested with roaches,
and attacked my step son very similarly to some descriptions talked about on
the FML recently.  Since then, I have handled over 1300 ferrets through my
shelter, not to mention helping others with hundreds of ferrets, and
handling ferrets at shows as a judge for the LIFE system.  I have a scar
from a kit which ripped my flesh and sent me to a walk in medical clinic,
and had to disqualify a friend's ferret at a show for the attack sustained
by her kit.  I have had biters that I could not rehab and had to pass along
to other shelters to be worked with.  The good experiences far outweigh the
bad, and I really miss working with the fuzzies now in my present situation
of having to rent a place to live until I can afford to buy a place of my
own.

Do not leave us, and do not sit quietly.  You stand to lose more than your
self-imposed punishment deserves.  You are human, and sometimes you find
that you and a beast can not get along - that is nature.  If we all got
along as humans, there would be no war or drive-by shootings.  We can't
expect to be perfect with every animal either.

Pam Grant