From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 12:11:17 -0400
Want a homemade hammock shortcut?  If you see standard pillowcases of
a discontinued color or pattern then get them cheap, sew them closed
(important), fold them so that the ferrets can climb inside, sew the
sides and then add clips, or add fabric straps or cotton rope (without
an inside rubbery-plasticy core) to tie to cage.

The worst bedding sewing thing we have run into has been sewing sheeting
over the fake sheep's fleece in the store-bought tube style hammocks.  We
have had one who was a bed-snacker (He ate food in beds a lot.) and he
had a blockage that was mostly fake fleece and fake fur rather than real
fur which required surgery for removal.  Fortunately, this turns out also
to make the beds last long and clean more easily.  We used to find that
the fake fleece blankets needed 3 sequential washings in our small
stackable washer to come clean enough but with the sheeting covering that
so that nothing can stick to it one washing usually does it just as well.

Polar fleece has not posed a problem for us; the things that we have with
that fabric don't seem to shed, and not all fake furs that we have had
shed easily though others come loose in hands very readily and leave a
lot of themselves in a washing machine so not all are reliable that way.

If someone has a bed snacker this is lot of work but it is worth it,
though it is not necessarily so for others.  He never had a blockage
again (and we are still saving labor on washing and money on replacement
bedding since the beds are lasting so very much longer).