From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:03:49 -0800
It's already November (actually I don't see how that's possible but it's
what the calendar says) and time to think of Christmas and giving.  This
could be THE YEAR OF THE SLEEP SACK.  Anyone can make a sleep sack.  You
don't need a sewing machine or be nimble with a thimble.  You do need a
needle, thread, fabric and a pair of sissors.  Polartec fabric will make
warm snuggly sleep sacks from a single piece of material, and can be sewn
either my machine or by hand.  Really.  You can sew a strong durable sleep
sack from polartec with just a needle and thread.  Ok, and a thimble!
Don't try to sew without a thimble - unless of course you enjoy suffering.

Cut 2 pieces of fabric about 15 inches wide and 36 inches long.  Put the
two right sides together (with polartec both sides are nappy, so it doesn't
matter) and stitch all the way around the rectangle except for a 4 inch
opening.  The opening can be either on an end or a side.  Turn the sack
right side out, through the opening and then sew the opening shut.  Now
you have what looks like a pillow case, all sewn shut.  Tuck one end into
the other and you will have a double thickness envelope.  You are done.

Now give the sleep sack to a ferret.  A shelter ferret, or the ferret of
someone who is having difficulties.  And there are all sorts of these!
Ferret illnesses, people illnesses, money problems, job losses, loss of the
person we thought we could count on.  We live in a tough world, so maybe we
can each make it a little easier for someone.

Over the weekend I made 12 heavy sleepsacks.  These are all completed, as I
drank enough coffee to overcome my 'fear of sewing machine', and only did
hand sewing to close the openings.  Previously though, I'd made sleep sacks
completely by hand.  Tonight I cut out 12 more, using fabric that requires
a liner and an outer shell.  Start with the simpler version!

Just a note of caution.  Polartec dries quickly and does not like high
heat.

Georgia - the left coast one...