From:
Especially Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:35:18 -0600
Ferrets are a popular , maybe not THE most popular pet in Japan.  I have
clients there and know that not only are ferrets expensive, so are are
their supplies.  A ferret costs between $700 and $900 US and TF comes in
1 1/2 Kilo bags for around $38US.  The stores commonly only stock 1 bag at
a time on the shelves due to lack of space and when that bag gets sold, a
call is made and a person on a bike delivers onother one to take its place.
The vets there are very poor with ferret medicine and my client will bring
her ferret to the US if things get too bad to handle over the phone or by
e-mail.  Delta lets them ride in cabin all the way, both ways.  Don't know
about US military installations in Japan except, traditionally, ferrets
are not allowed in base housing at all here in the states.  That s not to
say there aren't any living on military bases.  Those that do have ferrets
on base should be careful.  Not only can they take the ferrets, but the
persons commander can be notified and offenders subject to sanctions under
the UCMJ.

Hugs to 'em all,
Ferretguy