From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:44:20 -0700
I just realized this may not be considered 'ferret' related....unless I
explain that I rescued a really sick ferret from this pet store a couple of
years ago and it has been an ongoing problem with them selling kits with
giarrdia, unsanitary conditions, too high temperatures in the ferret
"aquarium", lack of food and water in cages, and bunches of other things
that are ferret-related.......does it qualify now, BIG?  :-)  [OK... BIG]

I have been busy researching state law regarding food/water/care
requirements for pet stores and have not found any in the state of Arizona
except pertaining to dogs and cats.  That's hard to believe!!

I have spoken to the Humane Society president here, but it seems that no
one is aware of any regulations or guidelines, but she thinks it would be
an excellent idea to create some!  A Humane Society Board of Directors
meeting is being called to address the problem and I am in the process of
compiling a list of food/water/housing requirements that Humane Society
officers could utilize as a starting point in future 'random inspections'
of pet stores.  I'm already thinking "uh oh....I think I've gotten myself
into a job here!", but just think of the (measurable) difference it could
make!!  I'm really excited about the possibility and think my time would
be much better spent that way than making huge signs and staging protests
outside the pet store!  Upon examination, it appears the Humane Society is
more than willing to enforce and prosecute, but as it stands they can only
step in if there is 'obvious' abuse/neglect, such as animals in distress
from lack of food/water, etc.  This could mean the store will be held to a
higher standard of care and animals won't have to be nearly dead before
drawing enough attention to bring the Humane Society into the picture.

I am wondering if other states/cities/counties have regulations for their
pet stores.  It would be helpful to me if a bunch of you would take a
minute and call your local ASPCA or Humane Society and ask if there are
regulations concerning 'minimum care requirements' (especially in regards
to food/water/appropriate housing) for pet stores in your area - and do
they apply ONLY to dogs and cats?  Do they have regular/random inspections
to be sure the facilities are up to code?  If there ARE regulations in your
area, could you please send me a copy?

If you do contact your local authorities and find there are NOT regulations
of any type in your area, would you let me know that also?  Maybe this
thing will grow bigger than we had ever imagined.  (I already have dreams
of it being called "Turnip's Law" (smile).  It will be interesting to say
the least............I have a feeling we have found a "black hole" that
needs to be illuminated.

Thanks!

jacquie & the boys (Loki, Morgan & Turnip) and Sara the Wonderdog