From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:43:54 -0600
The health effects of dietary restriction have been recognized for most
of the 20th century, yet little historic work was actually done extending
the findings from rodents, where the phenomenon was first found, to other
animal models (or humans).  The reasons attributed to this historic lack
of acceptance are three-fold; a lack of investigative methodology until
relatively recent time, a lack of clear understanding of the working
mechanisms, and conservative skepticism influenced by personal prejudice.

Investigative methodology has tremendously increased in the last twenty
years, including significant advances in computers, mathematical
modeling, DNA and PCR analysis, and the development of strains of
experimental animals having predictable genetic expression.  The
working mechanism of DR, while being seriously investigated, is still a
scientific black box: you can see what goes in and what comes out, but
what goes on inside the box is unknown.  A lot of possible mechanisms
have been discussed, and the leading contenders are that DR reduces
exposure to oxidants and biological and environmental toxins, DR causes
an increase in various enzymes that repair DNA and protein, and that DR
stimulates tissue protein turnover, reducing the effects of accumulative
protein damage.  Regardless of mechanism, the observed data conclusively
show DR slows ageing, extends lifespan, reduces cancers and the incidence
of other diseases, and while it doesn't actually cure disease, it can
help reduce symptoms and reduce the progression of the illness.

Remember my post on hypotheses and analogs?  The reason I posted it
before the ad libitum posts was so those unfamiliar with (or needing
serious review of) scientific method would understand the difference
between data and hypotheses.  For example, increased lifespan, reduced
rates of cancer, and retarded ageing rates are all observations; that
is, they are data.  These are not hypothetical; they are real life
observations.  To explain WHY or HOW the data were generated, various
hypotheses could be generated to explain what is going on within the
"black box." Each member of the FML NEEDS to understand this fundamental
truth: no study- -in the wild, captivity, or in the lab- -has falsified
these observations of dietary restriction, because they are NOT
hypotheses, but observations.  They are data.

Still, as already shown on the FML, personal prejudice plays an important
role in DR studies.  People tend to choose sides depending on their
preconceptions, and will either run around like a cartoon clown with
their hair on fire, screaming "Rapid oxidation is ONLY a scientific
hypothesis!", or will suck the idea into their bosom, using it as a
justification to fire-bomb Purina.  Neither group so emotionally invested
in their personal Dietary Dogma will gain much from this discussion.
Similar prejudices are found within the scientific community.  At a 1985
symposia on the subject, immediately after a debate on the lifespan
extending effects of dietary restriction, gerontologists were asked for a
show of hands to see who thought DR extended lifespan, and who didn't.
It was immediately and graphically clear which group thought restricting
diet wouldn't influence lifespan: most were clearly obese.  I guess this
shows that not only do armies walk on their stomachs, but, scientists
think with theirs.

The point here is in the face of personal prejudice, I cannot convince a
single person ANYTHING, and I am NOT going to try.  In fact, I am blowing
both groups off, concentrating this discussion to those with an open
mind, who recognize the only way we can improve the health and quality of
life for our ferrets is to "Test everything.  Keep the good, and discard
the bad." In the next posts, we will do just that.  We will ask questions
regarding animal modeling, and discuss exactly WHY results in other
species apply to ferrets.  We will have an extended discussion of the
possible health benefits of DR for ferrets.  We will discuss the
implications in quality of life and other ethical concerns regarding
implementing a DR program.  We will investigate safe methods of
implementing dietary restriction for ferrets without having to invest in
a home chemistry set and scanning electron microscope.  We will discuss
the ferret's unique physiology.  Lastly, I will post a rather impressive
list of references on the subject.

On a personal note for those middle-of-the-road people who are interested
in learning about dietary restriction in ferrets.  I will endeavor to
be as impartial as possible during these discussions, clearly labeling
personal opinion as such.  I suggest you read ALL remarks- -my own as
well as those in opposition- -with a critical eye.  Don't let emotional
diatribes nor demands for impossible evidentiary proof to sway your
opinion (you don't have to be able to explain gravity to know when you
fall on your ass, you are proving a hypothesis).  Read the argument,
consider the evidence, judge the logic, and then, MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!
Don't let ME convince you, listen to the evidence.  I adore ferrets,
and I have a single overriding goal: to increase the quality their
lives as much as they have mine.  As evidence of my motivation (and
qualification), recall *I* invented Bob's Chicken Gravy, it has withstood
the test of time (and more than a few nutrition experts), and I have
freely given it away without regard to profit or publicity, as I do with
EVERYTHING I have ever posted on ferrets.  I think the concept of dietary
restriction is a key tool to achieving a better life in ferrets.  All I
ask is for those with an open mind to read these posts carefully and
judge the argument based on data, facts, and logic rather than personal
prejudice and dogmatic delusion.

Bob C (in memory of Chrys)