From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 11:47:50 -0500
I tried to send this message directly e-mail, but it keeps getting returned
so I am posting it on the FML.

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: re: Granny

I do not mind direct mail, but I typically only download every 2-3 days so
there might be some delay in a response.

Looking over the notes you sent, a few possibilities.  The first is age
related senility, etc.  and all the sleeping is due to this.  Skin and
muscle mass decrease leading topot-bellied appearance, skin ulcers and so
forth.

The clawing at the mouth always puts stomach ulcers high on my list.
Amoxicillin and sulcrafate are relatively benign medications that can may be
tried symptomatically.  The food and normal digestive juices are causing a
flare up when she starts to eat and salivate.  This intestinal disease can
account for the inconsistent stool.

As mentioned before the pot-bellied appearance can be age, adrenal related
or possibly heart related.  Your vet heard a heart murmur.  I would
recommend a x-ray plus/minus an ultrasound.  If disease is present,
medications may help.

I hope this leads you and your vet to an answer.

Mike Dutton