From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:01:16 -0800
>I remember back in 1983 when I got my first ferret I was warned by the
>petshop NOT to feed it corn or anything with corn in it. ...
>" A large commercial colony experience an outbreak of bladder calculi.
>Five to ten percent of pregnant jills eating a diet containing mainly
>plant protein developed struvite bladder stones....

Unfortunately, I can attest first hand about this.  My very first ferret,
Jocko, died from stuvite bladder stones in 1993.  I was feeding him a diet
that was recommended by a shelter.  It was a locally made food and was
high in corn.

I bought my ferrets in Albuquerque but my job suddenly transferred me to
California.  (Try passing thru the agricultural check stop with a 165 pound
Bull Mastiff and the guards won't even think about a ferret in the car!)
I refused to give up my family but took seriously the admonishment to stay
undercover.  It was the inability to get good information in California
that cost the life of my beloved Jocko.  When he developed problems, we
rushed him into surgery.  Two days and over $700 later, the vet sent him
home telling us Jocko was on the way to recovery.  Three hours later,
Jocko died in my arms.  I was devastated.

PLEASE read labels.  PLEASE educate yourself about ferrets and their unique
needs.  PLEASE provide the best you can within your means.  Remember,
knowledge is power.  And that is the greatest Christmas present you could
give to your ferrets.

    -Carla