From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 1994 13:22:38 -0500
Effie Marie,:

With regard to a maxmimum dosage of Ferretone/Linatone, we discussed this
at an online ferret conference on CompuServe last summer with Dr. Lenny
Southam, who is the veterinary manager for the CIS Pets/Animals Forum.
Extrapolating from reference materials, here's what Dr. Southam came up with:

"[I] can't find toxic levels of A in ferrets. 500U/day is used in mink for
correction of deficiencies and it's [probably] similar in ferrets. I'd be
conservative about its use as a treat in ferrets to stay on the safe side.
You can produce toxicity in cats at about 1000 times recommended doses or
20000-40000 ug/kg/day over several months to years. And for Troy... toxic
dose in rabbits is about 190,000 U/KG. Sorry for it all at once and there
isn't much info...Ann said that Linatone has 1500U/teaspoon so normal
daily requirement in mink is 1/3 teaspoon. [It] would take more than that
to be toxic."

Hope that helps.

Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153