From:
Kim Sikorski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:08:58 -0400
Hello,

I initially went with Barbara to the garage from hell to pickup the
ferrets from Di Bachman.  It was a scene I will never forget, all those
sad faces begging for help, most of them not even recognizable to their
owner....so many were unnamed or unknown.

I took home an elderly (I thought) hob with me, named "E" for
identification purposes.  I love old hobs.  I have two whole hobs over
the age of 8 that I am lucky enough to share my home with, and when I saw
"E", I fell in love with him.  He returned with me from MD to NJ the day
after the rescue, and was quarantined at my vet's office until his United
ADV results came back negative.

Later in the rescue, Gail from Scales and Tails brought a group of
ferrets from the rescue to my vet for neutering/spaying.  Finnish, one
of the recognized ones, was part of this group.  Finnish was a very
aggressive biter when I first met him, but with lots of love from Barb
and her amazing volunteers, and Gail, he was improving.  After his
neuter, I agreed to take him, too.

I have two of the most amazing ferrets now, thanks to everyone involved
in the rescue.  E is one of the sweetest old guys I've ever met, and
after his much needed dental cleaning, we realized we overestimated his
age, and rather than seven or eight years old, he's more like five or
six.  He loves to play with the humans in the house, as well as the
other ferrets.  Except Finnish.  Those 2 really do not get along and have
separate playtimes.  Finnish is one of the smartest ferrets I've met, and
has amazing problem solving skills.  Finnish is slowly learning that
biting is not an acceptable behaviour, and that people are his friends,
not his enemies.  Its a slow process, but I'm happy to say that there is
progress.  Yes, E is still whole, but he will never ever be used again
as a breeding machine, he's here with us as a retired old man spending
his golden years down the road from Atlantic City.  I picture him in
cruisewear and black socks and sandals.  :)

I know that right now Rocky's has probably close to 80 ferrets to care
for.  Barb doesn't have time to sit on the computer 24/7 to answer
emails; I know that now she's processing adoption applications most of
her online time.  If people want to help, JUST HELP.  It is very needed,
and you don't need and engraved invitation to do so.  Go up and spend the
day with the ferrets, they are so needy and hungry for human contact, and
I'm sure Barb would be so very grateful for the assistance.  Lend a hand
around the shelter, whatever you're able to do, please do it.

Seeing E and Finnish playing and wardancing in our home where they are
treasured makes me so happy, I can't describe it.  I wish the same for
the rest of the ferrets from not only the Hagerstown rescue, but in
shelters nationwide.

Please can we set aside the ugliness and move on to more productive
things?  This whole dirty laundry nonsense surely accomplishes nothing
in the big picture, and only hurts the ferrets who have been hurt for
way too long.

Kim Sikorski
previously Rushing
Vice President, Rocky's Shelter and Rescue
www.rockysferrets.com
Head Pooflinger
www.pooflinger.com