From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 20:36:42 -0800
>From:    "Diana C. Ashby" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seeking Shelter Information

Three of the national ferret groups in the US keep track of ferret shelters.
All are on line and have web sites.  You can email any of three people for
help:

AFA Shelter subcommittee chair:
    Fran Wiles <[log in to unmask]>
        http://www.ferret.org/afashltr.htm

LIFE National Shelter Co-ordinator:
    Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
        http://www.acmeferret.com/life/shelters.htm

STAR* (Shelters that adopt and rescue):
    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
        http://ferret-world.csc.peachnet.edu/~star/index.html

>From:    Philip Langley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Aaarrrgghh KITS!

We have jills who are extremely protective of their kits to the point of not
wanting people around.  We see this as strong mothering instincts and not
necessarily as a problem.  We also have jills who let us help even
delivering the kits.  The protective one will return to her normal
personality when the hormones subside with the weaning and thus end of
lactation.  Well thats the way it works for ours.  We have several people on
the list who are interested in breeding so I think it has a reasonably broad
appeal.  Revealing the down sides in particular will discourage breeding by
those who expect it is all fun and games.

We do keep track of the personality of jills while mothering.  We don't want
to put a hormonally aggressive jill with a hob of borderline temperament to
prevent strengthing the aggresive tendancies.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]