From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 20:37:57 -0800
>From:    Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Wire Cages and a Biter

I certainly do not wish to stir up too much of a fight but...

>The main reason we did submit his picture was to get this type of reaction.
>Everyone needs to understand how dangerous bare wire in cages can be.

>When rescued Sampson's foot was already gone.  The shelter was told he was
>born that way.

Why do you disbelieve the source?  Cleaning ferrets in a bizaare manner does
not make one a liar.

When jills are giving birth they grab the kits with their teeth and pull.
Sometimes they accidentally remove parts.  A simplistic answer from the
breeder would be he was born that way.  And technically a kit like this
might have lost his foot before he was completely born.  Seen quite a few
tripod ferrets.  Some breeders disbelieve the jills might do this.  Some are
positive they do.

We do not approve of completely bare wire for floors of cages.  But we also
have never seen a ferret injured from wire floors.  We've heard about them
but often from the same sources that tell stories that are provably false.
The injuries that we've heard about more often are disfigured feet and such.

How would bare wire floors remove a foot?  I'm not saying it isn't possible
but don't see how.

Education of the public especially new ferret owners is very important.  But
we must educate them with facts.  We can tell them our opinions but state
them as opinions.

>From:    Lynn M Zummo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: question re: ECE and older ferrets

ECE is a bad nasty disease as are some of the other digestive tract
problems.  If you've gotten your elder Socrates through the disease you've
passed the worst.  He *might* die earlier from damage to the intestine but
he also *might not*.  Can't promise he'll want to return to normal food
though.  The soup type foods apparently taste better or something and some
don't want to go back to nasty dry kibble apparently.

At his age of over 5 he would have started looking much much thinner
regardless of ECE.  Muscletone drops and with it most of the bulk of the
ferrets.

Don't worry about having to put him down soon.  But he is geriatric and some
ferrets tend to go down hill quickly at such ages.  Some don't.

Enjoy Socrates while he's alive.  Death will seem to come too early even
if he lives to fifteen.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/