Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:39:25 -0500
on 7/11/03 4:31 AM, Joanne Ruffner scribed:
> 1 whole chicken
> 4 peppers (red, green, yellow, orange - preferred) cut into slivers
> 1 small onion (whole)
> 5 carrots
> 5 celery sticks

Joanne,

I have to make an objection to your duck soup recipe.  Not sure why you
are adding peppers, onions, and carrots to it, even if it is strained.

Onions are really bad for animals.  Fed on a regular basis they can
cause health issues, namely a form of anemia.  I researched this a few
years ago and in all animals tested onions affected them the same way.
So while I found no specific test on ferrets, I feel comfortable warning
folks away from onions.  Onions can cause anemia in small and large
animals.

I would definitely leave out the onions and probably the peppers.  Maybe
someone here with more knowledge can tell us if ferrets can use anything
in the juice from cooked veggies.  I am curious. ;-)

Blessings,
Maggie