From:
Kristen Herzog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:25:59 -0400
Remember about a month ago, when I wrote in to ask for the web site that
addresses "letting go?"  Well, my little stinker, in true ferret fashion,
has decided he's just fine, thank you, and is still kicking around. :)
He has what my vet and I believe to be a large tumor which has abscessed,
located on his belly.  Due to his age(he's almost 9), an irregular heart
beat, and the small chance of removing the tumor successfully, I have
decided not to put him through surgery.  His energy and movements are
great, his diet and waste are fine, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, and
one would think he's just my normal little old man.  The sore, however, is
truly disgusting.  I'm looking for some experienced folk who can give me
some pointers for dressing it?  I keep it clean with warm soapy water
daily, he's been receiving some steroid shots every few weeks to see if
this will help shrink the tumor, but I know he's not going to let me put
any sort of bandage on it.  I want to insure the best quality of life I can
provide.  I'm worried that due to the location of the sore, it may be tough
to keep it properly cleaned from litter, the floor, etc.  Any ideas?

Thanks! -Kristen & Nesta