From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:03:51 -0500
Update on the 2 MA ferrets I posted about who need homes:

1. Benjamin.  5.5 yr-old NM sable; possibly adrenal.  An ultrasound
revealed normally-sized adrenals with no obvious abnormalites, but he
does have typical hair looss at the sides of his neck (though there is
new hair starting to growm on one side... weird...) and thinning hair
all over, in addition to a UTI with oxalate crystals in his urine.  He
will be having ultrasound-guided biopsies either this Wed or next Wed to
further evaluate his lymph nodes, a possible pancreatic mass, and maybe
his liver (that is at the upper limits of normal, and he had some weird
blood values).  Unfortunately, he may have lymphoma.  But there is a new,
pretty successful chemo protocol from Tufts that we may try if this is
the case, and he is still a very active, sweet guy.

2. Kodyak- 4-5 yr-old SF (owner said 4, I'm pretty sure, but the clinic
who gave me her office notes said 5-but they also had her sticker reading
that she was an unneutered male and her name spelled wrong, so that could
be a mistake).

I got her this Saturday, and she is SOOO cute.  She is a very rich
chocolatey-brown sable, just gorgeous, and is very sweet.  If it weren't
for the obvious adrenal symptoms and some tartar on her teeth, I'd think
she was still a baby-she has that super-soft, fuzzy baby fur and just
looks very young.  She has a bald spot on top of her head, and thinning
hair on the backs of her back legs, as well as a swollen vulva.  I'll get
her a lupron shot this week as well as an exam and full bloods, including
an ADV test.  She is good with the litterbox and has the nicest-looking
ferret poop I've ever seen... ;)  Really.  She has been on a diet of
8-in-1 Ultra.

She grew up with 2 Australian Shepherds and gets along well with other
animals.  She was a single ferret, but I believe she has lived with
others in the past.  She is not up to date on vaccines, because her
former owner had ferrets who had reactions in the past and she was
afraid to get Kodyak vaccinated after her initial shots as a kit.  I
will try and get her series started this week as well.

Please help if you can.  Transport can be arranged from MA.  Both are
Marshall Farms ferrets.  I can email photos to interested parties.

Best,
April AC

Please contact me directly-it is hard for me to read the FML
consistently.  Email me or call 508-721-1259.

-April AC