Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:10:42 -0600
[two-part post combined.  BIG]

Thank you Carrie for your response.

I would agree that our decisions as shelter operators should always be in
the best interests of the ferrets, but they can not simply be the only
interests we take into consideration.  We must also consider what is in
the best interests of the family involved too.  I do not, however, agree
that a shelter can't make a wrong decision.  It happens all the time and
all too often whether intentional or not.

A shelter also has a responsibility to answer to the main animal rescue
organization in any given city.  A shelter cannot in good conscious make
a decision that would be better served by a more experience organization,
such as the SPCA or local Humane Society.  A rescue that has only been in
operation a few short months, such as yours, could not possibly have
enough experience to know what to do in all situations.  Even our rescue,
which has been in operation for over 5 years still has the potential to
make mistakes.  Although our rescues deal with a specific animal, the
courts more readily recognize the established credibility like the SPCA,
and as heartbreaking as it can be at the time to leave an animal in need
behind, it is the only legal course of action we can take that holds
merit, respect and longevity to the cause.  It is only in rescuing needy
animals in the proper way, that the courts more fairly judge a case and
better sentence the accused.  And it is because we cannot be prepared for
every single scenario that crosses our paths, that we try our best to
deal with the situation at hand in the best way we know how.  Mistakes
are always a possibility.

The issue of surrendering falls into that category.  It is our goal, as
I am sure it is of every good shelter, to ensure that no one surrender
a ferret while under duress, or made to feel like they are making a
mistake.  It takes a great deal of compassion and care to feel each
situation out, and it is important to ask a great many questions to the
surrendering party to ensure that when that their ferret or ferrets walk
out the door, that the surrendering party has no regrets what so ever.
It is our job to ensure that confidence is placed in our abilities to
care for the furry family member that is being separated out.

As people are individuals, it is possible that the person picking up the
surrendered ferret did not ask enough questions, pose other options, or
otherwise find a solution through follow-up education for the family in
question to keep the ferret.  It is possible that a person picking up the
surrendered ferret was too eager to get the ferret.  Who can say for
certain.  One of my questions in my initial post still comes into play...
if a ferret rescue feels that a ferret would be better off *away* from
the surrendering party because of personal beliefs, then who is to say
that that particular individual's feelings were right?  Since animal
cruelty cases are best left to the professionals and those in the know,
and protocol must be followed, then as I stated before, the Humane
Society should have received an official complaint.  Since the family in
question had other animals as well, would you not agree that a ferret
rescue has a responsibility to the other animals involved as well?  I
don't feel my responsibility ends with just the ferrets if other animals
are in the same boat.  I also don't personally believe that a secondary
shelter or rescue has the right to make that kind of determination.  If
the situation is bad enough for two ferrets to be taken from the home due
to citing "best interest of the ferrets", then I have to ask why the
other two were not taken as well.  You see, one question leads into the
next.  I am still left with many unanswered questions.

As for not hearing from the surrendering party yourself... just ask
yourself how many times you or people you know have gone to others for
advice on a situation without dealing directly with the person the issue
is with instead.  This happens too all the time.  For whatever feelings
this woman had, she did not feel she could deal with your shelter
directly after being told that she could not have her ferrets back, and
that she would have to pay the full adoption fee if she wanted them back
that badly.  She probably felt like she had no other course of action.
She probably felt that there was nothing further she could do.  I can
only surmise that perhaps she had fear of reprisal for making a
complaint.  Fear is strong and is known to make people do many things
that don't reasonably seem like the right thing to do.  Only she knows
why she did not contact you again.  Having said that, it does not lesson
the severity or the importance of this situation.

[part 2 of 2]

Thank you for clarifying the reconsideration period.  The woman stated
24 hours, and Lorraine stated 48.  But again, the time frame has no real
bearing on the case.  It could have been a week with this woman calling
in the last hour of the last day in that week.  She is left with hard
feelings and now has to deal with the loss of having two less ferrets.
Personally, I feel for the woman and I don't take this situation
lightly... thus the post.  Had I been able to contact your shelter, I
would have addressed this issue with you personally, but I still would
have brought it up to this list because it is an issue that other rescues
and shelters can learn from.  And since I don't personally feel that
people losing their ferrets are a waste of time, I will continue to post
about issues that affect us all.  Why?  Because it *does* matter and
being better caregivers to the voiceless matters too.  I did not join
this list to be popular or loved.  I joined because I felt I could make
a difference in the world of ferrets in many different ways.  Bringing
forth an issue to discuss is just one of them.

I would very much like to see the proof of your records, if you would so
kindly grant me that.  You can contact me anytime and set up a meeting.
As this is the last posting of this discussion I would very much like
it if you were to keep these lines of communication open with me and
continue to do so off line.  Perhaps we can do so over lunch and work
towards establishing a working relationship.  I look forward to hearing
from you.

best regards,

Betty Janner
a.k.a betty and her blur o'fur, for the love of ferrets
Defender of the voiceless
Ferret Wrangler since 1985 and caregiver to over 60 ferrets
Manager of Calgary Operations and
Editor of Bandit's Bulletin
Alberta Ferret Society
In operation since 1997 placing over 400 rescued and surrendered ferrets
into loving homes
Friend to ferrets... everywhere