From:
Roberta Ensor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:18:11 EDT
> From:    April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: RE: Maine regulations that need updating

Here is the info on ferrets in Maine with regard to Rabies laws.  I did
my research way back when the FML was lobbying for states to accept the
1998 Rabies Compendium and bookmarked them for future reference.  Sukie
Crandal did all the work to get the Compendium officially accepted in
Maine.  At the time I made the bookmarks the State was still working on
updates to their Rabies pamphlet.

Here are the links to the official info and the legal notices of adoption
of the changes to the rules.

The first few links are to official state publications from DHS and DDC
in Maine.

http://janus.state.me.us/dhs/boh/ddc/sumrabies.htm

http://janus.state.me.us/dhs/boh/ddc/indexnew.htm

Rabies Fact Sheet published by the State of Maine by DHS:
http://www.state.me.us/dhs/etl/rabies/rabiesfacts.htm

This next note is an excerpt from the actual proposal for and acceptance
of changes to the rules to include ferrets (full content can be found at
http://www.state.me.us/sos/cec/rcn/apa/notices/062498.htm )

June 24, 1998
Rule-Making Notice
as it appears in 5 daily Maine newspapers

NOTICE OF STATE RULE-MAKING

AGENCY: 10-144 - Department of Human Services, Bureau of Health, Division
of Disease Control

RULE TITLE OR SUBJECT: Ch. 251, Rules Governing Rabies Management
PROPOSED RULE NUMBER: 98-P121
CONCISE SUMMARY: The purpose of the proposed rule changes is to clarify
the references made to isolation, confinement and quarantine of an animal
involved in a rabies exposure.  The words isolation and confinement have
been removed and substituted with "quarantine".  The new rules also allow
for quarantine of animals in the home rather than only in a licensed
kennel or veterinary hospital.  Ferrets are now included in any reference
made to cats and dogs and are no longer a distinct entity when rabies
exposure is an issue.  The need for building a "home quarantine pen"
per manual specifications is no longer required as it was felt to be
unrealistic.  Lastly, the rules were changed to ensure that if an animal
is removed from the quarantine facility during the quarantine period,
the animal be on a tether no longer than 6 feet.

THIS RULE WILL NOT HAVE A FISCAL IMPACT ON MUNICIPALITIES.
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: 22 MRSA =A71313, 1313-A, 1313-B
PUBLIC HEARING: None scheduled; one may be requested.
DEADLINE FOR COMMENTS: July 27,1998
AGENCY CONTACT PERSON:
Diane Williams, R.N., Disease Control, 11 State House Station, Augusta,
ME 04333   TELEPHONE: 287-5192

And the follow-up public notice when it was officially adopted:

September 2, 1998
Rule-Making Notice
as it appears in 5 daily Maine newspapers

NOTICE OF STATE RULE-MAKING
AGENCY: 10-144 - Department of Human Services, Bureau of Health
CHAPTER NUMBER AND TITLE: Ch. 251, Rules Governing Rabies Management
ADOPTED RULE NUMBER: 98-361
CONCISE SUMMARY: The rule changes clarify the references made in the
previous rules to "isolation", "confinement", and "quarantine" of an
animal involved in a rabies exposure.  The words "isolation" and
"confinement" have been removed and substituted with "quarantine".  The
new rules also allow for the quarantine of animals in the home rather
than only (in some situations) in a licensed kennel or veterinary
hospital.  The requirement for building a home quarantine pen as per
specifications in the manual have been removed.  Ferrets are now included
in any reference presently made to dogs and cats.  They will no longer be
required to be euthanized if they bite a person.  The new rules, based on
new scientific evidence, will treat ferrets the same as for dogs and cats
in regards to quarantine issues and booster doses of rabies vaccine when
required.  Lastly, the rules were changed to ensure that if an animal is
removed from the place of quarantine, the animal must be on a tether no
longer than 6 feet.

EFFECTIVE DATE: August 25, 1998
AGENCY CONTACT PERSON: Diane Williams
AGENCY NAME: Bureau of Health
ADDRESS: 11 State House Station, 157 Capitol Street, Augusta, ME 04333
TELEPHONE: 287-5301
TTY: 287-4471 (Deaf/Hard of Hearing)