From:
Jim Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:46:24 -0700
Yesterday, (08-21-09) we said goodbye to another of the areas unwanted
ferrets. Her name was Sophie, and at 8 years of age, you could not ask
for a sweeter creature to throw away. She came to us almost 1.5 years
ago, the victim of a couple that didn't want, couldn't afford, and
didn't have the time for her.

Sophie was in the advanced stages of Adrenal Disease, having hair only
on about half of her body. She also seemed to be bumping into things
when she was walking around the shelter. We asked her owner how long
she had been blind, and they were shocked that she couldn't see.

Sophie was always a single ferret, so was not used to other animals
being around her. And the fact that she couldn't see them, made it hard
for her to get to trust them. She would always attack first if they got
too close, before even seeing if they were friend or foe.

With few exceptions, she spent most of her time with us as a single
ferret. There were times that we had other geriatric ferrets that she
would eventually cuddle up with, but after they died, she was again
left alone.

We spent extra time with Sophie, and enjoyed the times after she had
her soup. After we fed her, she would always wipe her face on the rug,
and then she would come to find you and climb up into your lap for
cuddle time. She would stay with you as long as we would let her, and
she would spent most of that time grooming herself, or our hands. When
she wasn't grooming or giving kisses, she was chasing her tail. Every
time she tail would come into her "view" she would go after it with a
vengeance. She would give it a quick "groom", and then go back to
cuddling.

For the last month or so, she had given up on our cuddle time. Feedings
were becoming more of a chore than an enjoyable time for her. She would
begrudgingly take her soup, and then get down. After cleaning her face
on the rug, she would not come back for cuddle time, she would just
find her blanket and curl up. That's when I realized that the end was
near. When enjoyable things are no longer enjoyed, and it's obvious
that the body is tired and giving up, it's time.

Dr. Sandra came out to the shelter, rather than having us bring her to
the clinic. She was trying to minimize the stress on a 9 1/2 year old
ferret, that a car ride would surely cause.

After giving Sophie a sedative to help her relax, and giving us a few
more minutes together with her, Dr. Sandra gave her the release she
obviously was waiting for. Sophie drifted away from us, to a better
place where she will be able to see again, won't have anymore hurts,
and will not be thrown away again.

Goodbye my little angel, we love you and will miss you! And leave that
tail alone, it your friend again.

Please help her to find the rest of our kids that are waiting for us,
and help her to make friends with them. She was too sweet of a ferret
not to have friends!

Jim Kennedy, Director
Ferret Rescue of Maine
A State licensed, 501c3 Non-profit shelter.
Donate to shelter ferrets by clicking
igive.com/from