From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 08:37:18 -0500
Date:    Tue, 30 May 2000 22:46:32 -0700
From:    C & R Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ferret Abandonment Dysorder Part lll

>Again, I have to say, why?  Why on earth do some of you bother writing and
>telling me your sob stories as to justify your cruelty to animals.

What IS cruel is to keep a ferret (or ANY animal) when it can no longer be
properly cared for.  Just as keeping a baby that cannot/will not be cared
for.  Sometimes giving a child up for adoption is an act of LOVE, just as
giving up a ferret is sometimes an act of LOVE.  To keep an animal that
depends on you when you can no longer meet it's needs is an act of
selfishness... but to give it up is a selfLESS act.  Granted, there are
*some* people who give up pets like they are tossing out an old pair of
shoes.

>You seem to think that everyone want to hear your problems, your stupid
>ideas that have no relevance to the situation at hand, and your deep
>philosophical reasoning behind yourthoughts that bear no rhyme or reason.

It seems that YOUR idea that there is NO good reason for giving up a ferret
is a stupid idea and your "philosophical" (??) reasoning is less than
philosophical as it bears no room for "shades of grey".

>Oh yeah,one more think DO NOT PURCHASE THIS FERRET IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA
>WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR LIFE FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS.

The sad truth is that NOBODY knows for certain what is going to happen in
their lives in the next 10 years.  Most of us have a pretty good idea of
what we'd LIKE to have happen but life is a crapshoot.  Nobody plans on
layoffs, car accidents that result in death or permanent injury, transfers
to other parts of the country.  Nobody can know for sure that the person
they married isn't going to become physically abusive or that the child
they have borne is going to be allergic to animals.

I, for one, would NEVER stay in a marriage that was abusive in order for my
ferret to have a "good" home.  I would never compromise the health of my
child(ren) for a ferret.  Furthermore, I wouldn't turn down a good job that
paid very well on account of my ferret.  This sounds cold but my life is
going to outlast that of the ferrets.  I would not compromise MY remaining
40 years (or whatever) for a ferret.  Of course, I would make every effort
to accomodate said animal but the reality is, it doesn't make economic
sense to compromise the rest of MY life for the 10 years that a ferret
MIGHT live.  The reality is that money makes the world go 'round and when
those few opportunities arise, they must be taken.  Love of a ferret does
NOT pay bills... if so, ferret shelters wouldn't be in the red.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for sounding so "cold".  There is a difference
between being "cold" and having two feet solidly placed in reality.

Reality is that people need money and nearly everyone strives to climb the
social and economic ladder.  Reality is that life isn't always "fair" and
reality is that nobody knows what the future holds.  Reality is that some
people give up their ferrets "just because" and reality is that some people
have to make economic choices, health choices, etc.  Reality is that some
people can accept those reasons and other people are full of contempt for
the choices people make.  The bottom line is, you shouldn't judge a person
until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

Your contempt and lack of compassion for the unforeseeable events that
take place in the lives of people speaks volumes about YOU, Rick.  You
repeatedly said "I don't care..." That is obvious.  I love my ferrets, I
love my cats but it's just as more important to have a good relationship
with your fellow human being as we are all interdependent on one another.
You don't have to love everyone but tolerance, compassion, acceptance, and
understanding is a good thing.  Not everyone has an idyllic life (as you
presumably have).

If I ever have to give up my ferrets, I'll be sure to pass them on to you,
my friend.  It's quite entertaining to see you get your dander up.

You need to chill, Rick and.... Simon says, "Take one giant step into
reality!"

Renee

Looking for some ferret people in your area?  Then check out the
                       FML Where List at:
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3157/where.html
           And the Shelter/Rescue and Club List at:
   http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/3157/where2.html