From:
Marc Lavergne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:36:56 -0500
Following my post in early May pointing that according to a study raisins
and bananas are sticky foods that can cause cavity, I volunteered to compile
a list of treats that your ferret might like to provide an alternative to
banana and raisin.  Here it is but it is not too long since I only consulted
electronic sources.  Your ferrets might like other treats too.  Ferrets are
carnivorous: give most treats in very small quantity.

Vitamins, remedies or food for sick ferrets
Linatone, Ferretone (I dilute it with oil too avoid giving them too much
vitamin A which is present in Ferretone); brewer's yeast (for vitamin B);
Duck soup (see FAQ for recipe); Petromalt (or other hairball remedy);
Nutrical, Ensure, Sustical (human food supplement)

Protein or fat rich treats
Turkey or chicken baby food; lactose reduced milk (avoid regular milk);
cooked chicken or egg (Salmonella bacteria may be present in raw chicken or
egg); cooked fish; freeze-dried liver (sold as cat treats); flax seed oil;
nuts, peanut butter (whole peanuts can cause a blockage), sunflower seeds,
hazelnuts (chopped); cat treats; ferret treats; dog biscuit

Vegetable
Green beans, cucumber, bell pepper, broccoli, mushroom, tomatoe

Fruit
Canned or fresh fruits: banana (mashed), melon, pear, apple, grape (peeled
or cut in half), raisin, mandarin, strawberry, blueberry, kiwi, papaya,
unsweetened fruit juice

Grain
Cherios, puffed rice cakes, wheat crackers

Treats to avoid
Chocolate (contains Theobromine and is toxic); beverages with caffeine;
alcohol; food or pet treats with large amount of sugar, salt or sodium; junk
food; dairy products (can cause diarrhea)

Internet sources: FAQ (Pam Greene), Pam Grant, Debbie Riccio, Ferret World,
FML

Lorraine Tremblay
Pepe La Pew "Pass the soap"
Sanka "I'll have fruit juice"
Mukluk "Raisins with Ferretone on the side please"
Snoreau "Not mashed banana again!"
Presto "I'll eat Snoreau's banana"
Boum Boum "Pass the popcorn or anything edible"

[Moderator's note: Long time subscribers know that I personally don't agree
with the "no chocolate whatsoever" line... it's a pet peeve so half the time
I throw in a note like this.  So I guess I'm not entirely impartial... oh
well... BIG]