From:
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 11:50:22 -0800
>From:    Lisaferets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: reaction explained a little better
>Bill - perhaps this wasn't made clear on my part -- The ferret was turned
>in on a Saturday afternoon - most vets in my area close by noon, or at
>the latest, 2 pm.

That was clear and understood, so we still offer the same comment.

>I am sure he was under some stress, but I doubt it was anything that
>attributed to the reaction.  We didn't even observe one wierd poop!

That is your choice to make.  Weird poop is not the one clear symptom of
stress.

We have developed our theory (yes ours not just bill) through discussion
with veterinarians.  Some seem to think there is merit to our idea.  None
have flat out disagreed.  Most had not thought about the idea that stress
is related to vaccine reactions before we brought it up.  Try talking to
your vet and see what comes from it.

>Vaccination within days of turn-in on unknown history ferrets has been
>going on here for some time without a previous reaction.

Reactions have not occured here ever.

All we said was consider not doing the vaccinations at the earliest
opportunity but delayed until a few days of observation have passed.  If
there is known active distemper in your area (this is to everyone) than
take that into account and lessen the delay.  If the ferret has already
been exposed before being brought into the shelter than its already most
likely too late.  The time it would take for the vaccine to take effect is
pretty much the same as the incubation time for the disease.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]