From:
The Langdons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:40:31 -0000
>Less than one-half of one percent of bats contract rabies.  However, a
>grounded bat should never be handled because it may bite in self-defense.
>Call a wildlife rehabilitator or an animal organization for help.

I didn't have much choice with the bat I found, but at least here in the
UK rabies isn't a worry.  I moved some things that were in the kitchen
sink waiting to be washed and there was a juvenile pipistrel bat sitting
in the bottom of the sink!  He was cold and wet so we had no choice but
to move him.  After about 100 phonecalls we found the local 'bat man' who
came and rescued him.  Sadly he didn't recover from the shock but at least
I tried to save him.

Jane