From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:20:24 -0400
>I recently read a research article in human medical journal that said
>there was link between heliobacter and pancreatic cancer.  I wonder if
>this could be true in ferrets as well?

I wouldn't want to say never, but the logical link is not there.  There are
more plausible (though not proven) connections between Helicobacter and
various cancers in the stomach.  Helicobacter has been causally linked to
a very small number of cases of gastric adenocarcinoma in ferrets, as well
as a special type of gastric lymphoma.

The biggest problem is that Helicobacter is omnipresent in the pet
population, and these stomach tumors are extremely rare.  If Helicobacter
is indeed a player in the development of these tumors, then there must be
something else required.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM