From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:19:31 EST
Had a bit of a scare this morning when I got up and had no water pressure.
Now THAT would be a nightmare, this is just a bad dream that I'll soon
awaken from :-)  Luckily it came back up about 20 minutes later.

You folks have been unbelievably generous, concerned and really there for
me, and you have no idea how I appreciate it.

We spayed 4 jills today, one had pyometria, another was beginning it.  We
nuetered 6 boys.  As far as the boys go, we are nuetering the most bitey
and uncontrollable ones first, so that we can clean them up while they're
out as well as hoping that the nuetering will help their temperments.  Dr.
Kim thinks he can save the two boys we thought we would have to euthanize.
We are doing most of the remaining surgeries Thursday evening, Friday
evening and Saturday afternoon.  All of the boys will be nuetered by weeks
end, and most of the girls, except the ones we think might be too far along
in pregnancies.  I checked on them when I got home, and they are resting
comfortably.

Three of the ferrets have been named, and another I recognized amongst the
piles of fur as a ferret that I've seen at many shows.  He responded to
his name, Dante.  The three that have been named are Paddington, Fugly and
Snake.  We assigned a number to each ferret, and to each cage, and we keep
track of them all this way.

Thanks to:

Anastasia who came down to help with everything, getting the ferrets
situated for a trip to the vet and cage cleaning.  She was here at 9:00am,
it was wonderful!  She showed up with 15 carriers, all cleaned and with a
towel in the bottom that we will use to transport the ferrets.  She went to
Dr. Kim's with Jim (actually she drove--she has a station wagon) and will
be bathing the ferrets after they are sedated up there, as they all need
baths and many are to bitey to do it otherwise.  Likewise they'll be
cleaning ears and treating for earmites while they're at it.

Peter Koch for three cages, trusting me for payment on some cage clips, and
the pans.

Liesl and Kevin made the run to Pete's house to pick up the cages for me,
and then stayed to help clean cages and sort out ferrets for the vet.

Dr. Tom Willard and Totally Ferret for the 150 lbs of TF.

Pets, Pets, Pets in Somerset, NJ for the donation of TF, arranged by Dr.
Willard.

Matt Rosette for bringing over the garbage can (Yiikes--you can't believe
how much extra trash I suddenly have!), the paper towels, Bitter Apple,
suede work gloves and other assorted items that I was pretty desperate for.

Elizabeth for the Nutrical, Crock Lock, Hammock and TF.

Alicia Drakiotes for all her help--she is now coordinating all the New
England shelters and individuals that want to adopt or help socialize and
place these ferrets.  If you are in NE and want to adopt or help, contact
her directly.  Also thanks to her for the hammocks.

Joe Palko for so kindly coordinating my needs list at the Ferret Store.

I know many of you have sent checks to SOS on our behalf, not sure if you
want your names mentioned, so I'll just say thank you to everyone who did.

Also--I know other items came in tonight while I was at work, but until I
speak to my son and know who brought what, I'll wait to mention you, but
you know who you are, so thank you!!

On to what I need...

I could still use some small (18"x24" STACKABLE) cages that we can use for
recuperation after surgeries, that would be great.  If you want it back,
you need to put your name and number on it in permanent marker.  I think we
are good on litter pans now.

I could also use some laundry detergent--I just added 3 loads a day to my
household!

The Ferret Store has a list.  But I think other than litter, I am probably
in pretty good shape supply wise for now, as lots of people have sent
things that should be arriving any day now.  If I notice that I need
anything, I'll post.

If you planned on calling TFS for ordering supplies, please instead think
about sending that money to SOS for the vet bills.  Judith posted the info
in yesterdays FML about how to go about doing that.  Remember, anything
extra after the bills for the ferrets that are here and at Kim's are paid
will revert back to SOS to help ALL shelters, plus it's tax deductible!!

And finally, If you live in NJ, I do have a need for someone to come down
and spend some time with the OTHER 29 ferrets (9 personal and 20 shelter)
in the house who are ADV-, generally sweet natured and well behaved.  We
were supposed to clean their cages and clip their nails last Saturday, that
didn't happen.  So if you don't feel comfortable with the 61 beasties in
the garage, but want to help with "normal" ferrets, please contact me.  I
hope no one takes that wrong, I love them all equally, but am feeling
guilty because the "They were here first's" have been uprooted from "their"
room and a little neglected the past few days.  They are used to being
played with and snuggled every day, and that hasn't been possible.

Anne (up to my ears in ferrets)