From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:38:00 -0400
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for sticking with us through
all the crisis of the last 30 days.

Beginning the 1st of September this year we have been in DISASTER RESPONSE
status for one Disaster after another.  First it was the Big Spring Texas
Humane Society (where we needed l00 dogs foster or adopted or they would
have been euthanizes), next it was Hurricane Georges (this Hurricane
plagued us for 17 days).  Disasters for our beloved Children of fur,
feathers, scales, shells and hooves just seemed to be going on and on and
on.  All through these horrendous occurrences you have stuck with us and
supported the children in any way you could.

On the 28th of September our Web Site at
http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~ferretma/ffdri1.html
crashed.  Despite this problem you stuck with us.  Unbeknownst to any of
you is that our Web Site Master became extremely ill on the 28th.  She is
much better now and trying to get the Web Site updated as best she can.

Despite all that has happened, all of you have hung in there with us to
rescue the children of Fur, Feathers, Scales, Shells and Hooves.

Be very proud that the Big Spring Humane Society "Disaster Response" status
has gone back to Disaster Watch - that is your doing.  Over 170 dogs were
either fostered or rescued - you did that.

The Ferret shelter in St. Croix (that's Amy), was found and they are A -
O.K. running still on a generator but Amy and the Ferrets are O.K.

When Karla Franck (Ferrets in Paradise Rescue & Adoption Shelter) in
Marathon Shores, Fl was hit by Hurricane George: Ferret Friends were
"Johnny on the spot" and food, litter and the Mini Disaster Response pack
were sent to her.  She and the ferrets are doing well and her shelter
(although damaged) is back up an running.

Then there are the shelters we are still responding to: "Gulfcoast Ferret
Rescue" in Chicksaw, Alabama and Jackson County Animal Shelter in Gauiter,
Mississippi.

Today, October 1st I am very please to report that our forward supply area
i.e. Frisky Ferrets in Shreveport, LA received their very first package:
30# of totally ferret and a check for $10.00.  I expect that tomorrow more
of your care packages will arrive and Tricia & Joe Conley (of Frisky
Ferrets) can start delivering these supplies into the disaster areas of
Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Gulfcoast Ferret Rescue in Chicksaw even after sustaining substantial
damage is going to lend assistance: supplies and help for the dogs coming
in; to the Jackson County Animal Shelter in Gauiter, Mississippi (United
Animal Nations, Emergency Animal Response Service {EARS} are doing rescue
from this location).  EARS have also volunteered to help the Gulfcoast
Ferret Rescue.  Everyone is working hand in hand with no politics and it is
in my opinion wonderful.

On Sunday 4 October myself and Rag-A-Muffin Man (the ferret shelter dog)
will leave Vero Beach, Fl and travel through the damaged areas in the gulf.
We will carry supplies and do pickups and deliver them to the disaster
area.  Our destination is Mt.  Ida, Arkansas (where we are participating in
the 12 Annual World Champion Crystal Dig).  The people in Mt Ida are
wonderful and I fully expect that they will help us load up with supplies
to take back to shelters on the gulf coast (for our trip back).  Also, Rags
and I will swing by Shreveport (gosh they will need some relief by then -
they have been our forward supply area and delivery people for Louisiana
and Mississippi) to pick up anything not yet delivered to the disaster area
and Rags and I will begin our trek back through the Gulf Coast delivering
more supplies as we travel.

So bottom line is: Please continue to support our efforts to save the
Children of Fur, Feathers, Scales, Shells, and Hooves.  Below are the
address for supplies and monetary donations.

Ferrets and all other animals:

Frisky Ferrets Info & Rescue
%Tricia & Joe Conley
822 College Street
Shreveport, La  71104

or:

Gulfcoast Ferret Rescue
Mrs. Marty Loeffler
522 Highway 42
Chicksaw, AL   36611

For the vaccinations of the dogs in  Gauiter, Mississippi

Make your check to: Jackson County Animal Shelter.  Mark in the notation:
Hurricane-Parvo (this is to let them know it comes from Ferret Friends and
is for vaccinations)

send to:

Jackson County Animal Shelter
Attn:  Sandra
4400 Audubon Lane
Gauiter, Mississippi   39553

Thank you again for loving the Animals and caring enough - not just talk,
but to take action.

Chere McCoy
Director, Disaster Response International

What mark shall I have made when I leave this place?  Those of four feet,
scales, wings, - will they speak in their languages of me after I have
gone?  Will I have made a difference for those who have no "human" voices?