From:
Ulrike Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:40:42 -0000
>In this day and age i find this remark rather stupid, this is what the
>people who worked ferrets in the 20's to 70's used to say, to justifie
>the reason why they bred ferrets instead of having them spayed or using
>the jill jab

I doubt that they had jill jabs in the 20's to 70's and I don't think that
vets had much experience with neutering animals, especially small ones
like ferrets.  There are still vets around in the UK who do not want to
spay a jill.  I find it bad to leave a jill in season, (ferret) vets and
ferret experts wouldn't warn of the dangers of prolonged oestrus if it
was safe to leave jills in season.  I have heard of one young man who had
a jill and his vet said it was okay to leave the jill in season- she died
that summer of anaemia.  You must have had some really special jills if
non died of being left in oestrus.  Most other people have jills that
would not survive being left in season.

>[Moderator's note: TM does not seem to be posting from the US.  It often
>strikes me how differently ferrets are kept in other countries.  Question
>for TM: are your ferrets indoor house pets or are they kept in an
>semi-outdoor pen or barn?  I'm sure may other subscribers would enjoy
>hearing more about your experiences.  Any reason this was posted
>anonymously?  BIG]

I can say that many people keep ferrets as pets here in the UK and most
know that it is best to have them neutered so we don't keep them that
differently. :-)  I know quite a few people who keep their ferrets in the
house, others have huge ferret sheds and runs in their gardens.  But
generally people know that you shouldn't leave a jill in season and most
have their ferrets neutered, there are some exceptions, seems some people
don't want to spend money on neutering which makes me angry sometimes, if
you can't afford to get your jills spayed then you shouldn't have so many
or none at all.  And what will those people do when their ferrets get
sick and need veterinary treatment...

I think it's best to have ferrets neutered, you can keep them all together
and don't have to keep hobs on their own.  I once had 3 rescue hobs who
were all in season and they all got on but I think they'd been together
since they were born.  But they were a bit aggressive, they followed me
around and locked onto my shoes and trousers and arms and hands when I'd
handled a jill... With the hobs I also got 4 or 5 jills who were all left
in season, their vulvas were so swollen, I didn't think they'd get that
big and I had to wash them down there every day to prevent infection.  I
would never ever do that to a jill on purpose...

Ulrike
and Jack, Bella, Mason, Baby, Dana, Fox, Reno, Rose, Jasmine, Hobo,
Gremlin, Bobby, Willow and Tara

Missing Angel, Hope, Igor, Barney, Tom, Spike and Jilly

West Wales Ferret Welfare
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ferretlove.co.uk
Last update 19/02/02