From:
Adam & Nicole Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 19:48:08 -0400
Hi!

Just wanted to put in my two bits re: ferret allergies.  I'm really really
allergic to cats, dogs, ferrets; basically anything with hair.  And my
family includes my husband and my two fuzzies, Oz and Merlin.  My allergist
has often recommended that i get rid of my ferrets so i could be in better
health.  But, as i told him, my physical health may be better but my mental
health would be significantly worse.

I've been able to control my allergies a lot by doing the following:

1) keeping them out of our bedroom, out of the bed, and especially out
   of my clothes drawers.
2) playing with them wearing thick cotton gloves.  I sweat a bit but i don't
  swell from scratches and bites don't swell and sting for days.  I found
  my scent still carries through the cotton and when the guys see the big
  purple gloves, they know it's play time.
3) I don't hold them to my face to give them kisses as often as i used
   to. This really helps with the asthma.
4) I found a place in Toronto that sells air filters that will filter all
   of the allergens out of a 1600 sq.  foot area for $475 canadian.  This
   may seem like a lot, but i've probably paid that much in extra allergy
   meds (outside of my regular prescription meds) last year alone.  This
   will take dust and mold particles out of the air also.  And any dander
   and hair that's released when Oz and Merlin shed their coats.

If I can be of any more help, feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]
for any more allergy avoidance ideas.

Hug your fuzzies for me.

Nicole