From:
Erin Pollitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:26:11 EST
Hello again!  I just received a disturbing attachment in one of my e-mails
that doesn't pertain to ferrets, but may pertain to their owners and puppy
pals.  I hope this gets posted, even though it is not relevant to ferrets,
because it is always important to take precautions.  Since most ferret
lovers also love other animals, they can keep this in mind next time while
walking their dogs in the city.  OK- to get to the point, here's the e-mail
I received:

"Tennis Ball blows up in dogs' mouth
Posted Nov. 25

I just read an article in our local newspaper, The Oregonian, that told
about a dog that was killed by an explosion after it's owner picked up a
tennis ball that way lying on the ground and played fetch with it.  It blew
up in the poor dog's mouth.  The police said that that has been happening
quite often in the city.  People four blocks away heard the explosion.  The
dog didn't die right away but people were begging the police to put the
poor dog, Ivy, out of her pain.  But they waited until a vet came.  She was
then euthanized.  The owner collapsed when told that his dog had died.  Ivy
was a Labrador retriever.  Whoever reads this, no matter where you are,
DON'T pick up "stray" tennis balls or let your dogs do so.  Who knows what
could be in them.  Pretty sad world, isn't it?"

[Moderator's note: Unlike some stories, this one appears to be true, and
is not an isolated case.  Animals are not always the target victims, but
anyhow, I do think it IS relevant to ferrets.  Some do like to play with
tennis balls so a little bit of extra caution couldn't hurt.  BIG]