From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:04:02 -0400
Hello to all,
I have seen a couple of post of the danger of paper towel and toilet paper
rolls and similar types of rolls.

I had come home from delivering a new ferret to Audra in Ann-Harbor, and
noticed that the 3 ferrets of my 4 were around, but couldn't find Spice, but
sometimes they go under the kitchen counter to sleep, so I didn't think too
much about it.  But late at night, I went into my bathroom, and while on the
(potty) I looked down into my wastepaper basket, and to my shock, I saw a
furry body just lying there motionless, it was Sugar, with a empty toilet
paper roll stuck on her head.  I grabbed her and took the roll off, she was
groggy, and I just kept praying, praying that she hadn't been stuck in the
paper roll too long, and that there wouldn't be any permanent damage from
lack of air.  She finally started coming around, licking and kissing me.  My
husband, didn't know that she had followed him into the bathroom when he
took his shower, but I knew that one of them had been, since they left a
little trace of themselves next to the shower door.

Spice is okay now, just took her a few minutes to get her bearings, I don't
know how long she had been stuck to her shoulders that way, and if she was
in the process of just sleeping, when I found her, or with the lack of full
oxygen, she was slowing drifting into a sleep then death.  BUT PLEASE,
REMEMBER, TUBES ARE DANGEROUS, KEEP AWAY FROM FERRETS.

The ferret I drove to Ann Arbor was the FATTEST and cutest, besides ours,
that I had seen.  He was all MALE, and had an unusual black nose, when all
others I have ever seen had white or pink.  We met the new owners in
McDonalds and they fell in love with him :)  How could you not, Audra tucked
"Bandit" into her coat and his head peeking out, and he looked like a
raccoon, since his coloring was black and white.  When I brought him home,
my husband said "Get him out of here now, or I'll keep him" :-) I called
Audra, and he has adjusted well

My Idea of a toy and is alot of fun to watch the fuzzies play with it, is a
telephone cord, we replaced our telephone with a new cord, and kept the old
one, since its springy and long, the ferrets will fight and play tug of war
between them selves, and sometimes we will hold one end toss the other end
to them, they will grab on to it and start pulling backwards to their
hideyhole, under the couch, if you start pulling on it, they pull tighter,
but the springyness of the cord will make them roll over and they are just a
riot to watch springing back and forth, its been a great cheap toy.  the
clip that goes into the wall, is still attached, but we checked and it's
attached WELL, that is where they can really bite and grab on good.  But we
spent quite a few minutes tossing the cord and them chasing it and trying to
play springy tug of war!!!!!

Take care,
Marti
Loosewire, Lucy, Sugar & Spice