From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 02:19:29 -0700
This is a reply for David Morgenlender who sought advice on treating
possible adrenal disease.

Last year, our then 5-year female ferret exhibited the hair loss pattern
symptom of adrenal disease (no enlarged vulva, either).

The first vet we went to, our regular vet for shots and checkups, told as
adrenal disease was highly likely, but that the blood test and ultrasound
are needed for a definitive diagnosis.  I don't think hearing this from
your vet indicates a problem.  It does appear that those two tests are
the only two diagnostic tests that can confirm the presence of adrenal
disease without surgery to actually go in and look.

The cost of the tests was about $300.
The cost of the surgery itself: almost $900.

Keep in mind that we're in California, and based on the vet stories I've
heard, I suspect some amount of price gouging is going on when it comes to
vets treating ferrets, if for no other reason than that many vets classify
ferrets as "exotics", with extra-high fees.

So I called around a bit to other ferret owners and local groups and found
a vet a 2-hour drive from me who had an excellent reputation, lots of
experience with ferrets and charged $80 for the surgery.  I took our sick
ferret in for an exam and he told me his recommendation is to do the
surgery right then, since he could feel the enlarged adrenal gland (left
one) with just a physical exam.  So I agreed.  Everything went fine, he
removed the adrenal gland without shedding more than a few drops of blood
and it took about half an hour.  He showed me the enlarged gland he
removed and it was the size of the tip of my little finger, when it's
usually a lot smaller than that.

Our ferret recovered without complications and now at age 6 is in
excellent health for her age. In fact, she still thinks she's a kit.

I've recommended the vet to every ferret owner I know.

So, in summary, if you want to have the diagnostic tests done, it can't
hurt.  But remember that if your ferret actually does have an enlarged
adrenal gland, she'll only get sicker without treatment while you wait
for confirmation.

So if you do have a competent vet who recommends surgery, I'd say go
for it.

One word about recovery from hair loss: I thought our ferret would just
grow back the fur on the patches that had gone bald.  However, I found out
that's not the way it works.  Within 10 days of the surgery, she shed her
entire old coat in about 48 hours, and for a week or two she looked like
a ferret with a full-body crew cut, as the new coat's short stubble grew
longer into a full, shiny healthy looking coat of fur.

During that 2-day shedding period, she was itching so badly that I finally
took her outside, sat her down in my lap and gently combed and pulled out
the tufts of old hair as much as I could.  I swear she actually ENJOYED
that!

[LC]