From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:31:06 -0400
Just my 2 cents worth here.  It was mentioned in the last FML that
excessive thirst was NOT a symptom of adrenal disease.  It may not be a
"typical symptom", but I know there are cases in which it is a symptom.
One of my babies, Pooh, has had problems with adrenal disease a number of
times, first the right adrenal, then the left, then later the right one
"grew back".  Each and every time his adrenal disease came back, he would
drink lots and lots of water, and of course urinate massive amounts, (the
2 do sort of go together).  So in his case it definitely WAS a symptom.
Now that may not be typical, but I just wanted to let everyone know that
it isn't unheard of as a symptom of adrenal disease.  My other ferret,
Tigger, did not have these symptoms when she developed adrenal disease.
Her one and only symptom was she stopped eating and got very, very weak
and lethargic.  Pooh, on the other hand, ate more when he had adrenal
problems.  The disease can manifest very differently in different
animals.

I'm not saying that every ferret that drinks a lot has adrenal disease.
It definitely can be a symptom of other problems as well.  I'm also not
trying to flame anyone, just help shed some light on the topic.  Any
ferret that has a problem with excessive thirst, (and by default
urination), should be examined by a vet.

Holly
Tigger & Pooh

P. S. Another ferret I had by the name of Sprite seemed to drink a lot
with her adrenal disease too.  So it can't be all that uncommon a
symptom.