From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:29:33 +0100
Its strange how these amazing little fuzzies find their way to ferret
friendly homes.

Yesterday, My father was driving home from shopping with my sister when
they saw a little white creature hoppity skip across the road ahead of
them..  My sister knew straight away it was a ferret and that the fact
that it was out wandering on a road was bad news.

They stopped the car (dad being prepared to park the car across the road
to stop all traffic if necessary) while Sis went to see if she could
catch it.  luckily the escapee was very friendly and hand tame, and being
just around the corner from home they soon had this little roamer safely
in their cat carrier.

I was called over to see what they had found and discovered a young
albino girl possibly around Chunky's age who is indeed hand tame and
very friendly, and although she looked clean and reasonably fed, she
was infested with fleas of all sizes (indicating to me an established
"colony" rather than something she had picked up on her travels) and
long hooked nails and the inevitable filthy ears.

The rest was really automatic... I brought her home of course, she was
bathed... and that meant I also brought forward bath time for Rhoobarb
and Chunky.  Having introduced her to the taste of ferretone while I gave
her a nice manicure I decided that as she was a quiet shy and slightly
scared little girl it wouldn't be nice to expose her to the full horror
of Chunkyweezil at his most hyper!

I have had Chunky and Rhoobarb separated since his neck abscess was
operated on, (the lump although smaller has refused to clear up), but
having had the bitter apple spray busy on his neck during playtimes I
figured it was time to try them together so that I could let our lodger
have some peace to get over her big adventure.

We saw the vet yesterday afternoon, he was soon captivated by her
friendliness, shes in good health, although (as I already knew) in
season.  He suggested that it wasn't a good idea to give her a Jill jab
straight away incase she has been caught by a hob before she got out,
but if I still have her in 2 weeks, and she is still in heat then we will
bring her out before spaying.  why 2 weeks?  well for one thing I have
notified the police that I have found her just in case anyone reports a
lost ferret, we have also notified the local vet practice (the one I dont
take my weezils to anymore).  If no one claims her within 2 weeks than I
will consider her mine all mine.

For the same 2 week reason I wont be naming her just yet, as I am sure
that were I to choose a name for her you can bet that someone would claim
her the very next day :o( , After the events of Cardiff a couple of years
ago, I am staying well away from the RSPCA too, I was told by my vet
yesterday that he had seen a briefing paper in which it is stated that
the RSPCA consider ferrets to be wild animals and as such are not really
interested in them.  My feelings about that society are not repeatable
here, I have too much respect for BIG to use that sort of language here.

Yes I am already attached to her, although a little worried, shes very
quiet, she doesn't cover herself with bedding the way the others do, and
although she was very active and curious when I let her out last night
to explore the bedroom.  she has met my two, only briefly, and I think
Rhoobarb has assumed the Alpha status as I twice interrupted a "dragging"
session, right now I am anxious that she should feel safe and secure, and
learn how to be a ferret... something that she really seems to be unsure
of right now.  As for Chunky he seems really anxious get to grips with
her, we have been joking about him having a new biatch who's crashing in
his "crib" lol... in time I am hoping it will all work out between them,
maybe 2 girls can keep the Chunkster under control... hey one day it
might occur to him that his days of giving hot lovin' are over... so far
he seems to be overlooking that fact!

Regards..
Cris & (& unkie Lee - reserve hooman)
 & the kidz -
Rhoobarb (Biteyweezil)  "I'm the boss bitch!
Chunky (Chunkyweezil)   "Hey sugar... don you know im just too much
weezil for one woman?"

And one very confused and nervous little white girl........

Remembering those who stole pieces of my heart
Custard (Cussieangelweezil) my gentle little joker and daddies
snuggleferret
Bubbles, (Da Warweezil) first ferret par excellence and leader of the
furkidz
Skweek (Skweekyweezil) daddies litle earwashing girl and all round little
madam
Called away from this world to dance with the angels at the rainbow
bridge
mailto:[log in to unmask]