From:
"Phyllis A. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:57:06 -0500
I know how you are feeling.  I got a little boy about a year ago.  I
asked it he had been with other ferrets and was told yes.  I brought him
home and let the other get familiar with his scent.  When I decided to
introduce them, I put my girl, Grace, with him in my kitchen.  They
didn't really get along, but it wasn't anything to be alarmed with.

She did go after him, but it was in the normal establishing there place
in the home.  Joey (Joy) did fight back with her.  He just laid there.
I knew that wasn't normal.  Grace went after him, but she went off and
did her thing.

I was going to introduce them one at a time, on different days.  My
girlfriend was here and she put Generosity in the room, despite me
telling her not to.  Generosity went right for him and really attracted
him.  Grace went after him when she saw Generosity.  I had Karen put her
up to see what happened when Generosity was by himself.  It didn't make
any difference.  Before I knew it, he had brought blood.

I thought it was because Joey just laid there or it was because it was
too soon after the death or Generosity best friend.  I have continued to
try to put them together, without success.  Generosity will go for his
throat or just bites so hard that if I didn't separate them he would
bring blood.

There has been a little progress.  Joey will go back at him a little, but
not enough to get Generosity to stop.  Grace has accepted Joey in that
she tries to play and Joey will kind of go after him, but then she goes
on her way.  Joey will start to play around until he sees her and then
she stops and hides.

I have tried everything I know to do that I have read about from ferret
knowledgably people.  I did have a friend suggested that I put ferretone
on Joey neck, so he would lick to off instead of him biting Joey.  I
haven't tried this yet, since I found out that Joey was sick.  I didn't
want Generosity to get sick too.

Since then I have been afraid too because Joey gets so stressed out, even
with his sister.  I have thought about doing it with Grace so maybe he
would know she wasn't going to attach her.  This sounds like it might
work if your new baby wasn't afraid of the other ferrets.

I have been worried about Joey because he doesn't get out enough since I
have to take turns.  I tried to put him in the kitchen all the time, but
he doesn't like that.  He likes to be with people too much.

I have moved my furniture all around and I know that there is no way he
can get out.  Since I have been able to ferret proof my house, I let him
out in the house while the others are playing in the kitchen.  It is
working better for Joey, but I still would love to get all of them to be
together.  I have heard that there are some ferrets that never get along
with others.

If you get any good answers, please sent them to me.  I hope the idea
that I have shared with you might help you.

Phyllis and the Wigglies: Generosity, Grace and Joey (Joy)
In Loving Memory: Faith, Hope, Constance, Bandit and Charrity