Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 18:09:54 -0400
General note to list: Before assuming that someone is flaming another it
pays to know what is going on.  I recently got yelled at for my comments to
Erin -- not yelled at by Erin who is very sweet, you understand, since she
and I were having a pleasant conversation back and forth discussing options
and things she could use to convince another (and we each knew what the
other was posting) -- but yelled at by a third party who didn't know the
background, the situation, the discussion, or the issues involved.  I am
not flaming that person, BTW, and have therefore left out that individual's
name.  This kind of misconception -- which is NOT unusual to ANY internet
list -- comes up now and then.  When people aren't careful these
interpretations have even led to people fighting here.  Anyone who has been
on this list a long time can recall times when separate parties decided,
unsolicited, to take up someone's banner and "defend" them; sometimes this
has led to all-out on-list wars.  Meanwhile, the principals have been there
astonished on the sidelines thinking, "Huh?  Why the heck is this going
on?".  It's also easy to recall a number of principal people who got on the
list and wrote just that only to be ignored by other people -- unrelated to
the issue at hand -- who just wanted to defend, or argue, or start an
argument among others.  So, before anyone assumes that something nasty is
going on between others DO check with the principals FIRST because their
response could well be, "Huh??????????????...".

Sukie who figures that it's fine to have people disagree or agree with what
I say but NOT to have them assume my motivation or read in a tone which
isn't there.  Ditto in relation to assumptions or motivations of the posts
of others.