From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 03:01:29 -0800
 Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:52:04 -0800 (PST) [log in to unmask] writes:
>Hello. My name is AXXXXX and I am interested in possibly fostering a
>ferret. If I am at the right place please let me know and also tell
>me what kind of nfo you need from me.
>I live in Roy, Wa. and I currently have one ferret.  She is desparate
>need of a companion.   Thank you.   AXXXXX>

This is my response to a request for fostering FNW shelter ferrets.  It is
something that I've not given too much thought to in the past until now.
Wondering what you ferreters out there in cyberspace think about this
subject?  Comments Please ... am I being an overcautious worrywart or what?

Dear AXXXXX,

Oh, thank you so very much for your generous offer to foster a ferret from
Ferrets NorthWest.  I have never done this before so I'm not aware of the
problems that may be encountered for the ferret in such a relationship.
You are located in Roy, and I am located on Mercer Island.  So you are
quite some distance away from me south of Tacoma.

Would you be prepared to accept potential adopters that I'd send down to
you, accept a donation for the ferret and then send the donation to Ferrets
NorthWest FNW?  There would also be some paper work involved.  How'd we get
the fostered ferret down to you?  How do I know that you'd take proper care
and feeding of the fostered ferret?  What happens is you fall in love with
the fostered ferret and absolutely refuse to part with him or her?

The more I think about this, it would seem that we should have some kind of
written agreement that covers these areas that I've mentioned above.  That
means a lawyer to draw up a contract of understanding and possibly your
posting a bond so as to eliminate the need for small claims court action
should we have a disagreement of one kind or another at some point in the
future.

I don't mean, surely, to sound apprehensive or untrusting of you, but there
should be some instrument to protect the ferret, protect you, and lastly,
to protect me, dont you think?

Go ahead and give me your thoughts about this.  I think that if we get
into this, it'll wind up costing you and me some money for the legal fees,
for transportation, and for liability protection, just in the remote
possibility that a FNW ferret should bite a friend of yours and the ferret
would have to be killed, or if it got away from you after biting somebody,
than that person would have to undergo rabies shots and would have rather
substantial medical bills to pay.  That being the case, who will pay the
medical/liability suit/court/lawyer costs?  Hmmmm.  Doesn't sound too good
does it?

Anyway, let me have your thoughts please.  OK?  My phone is 206 232-1228
anytime.

Edward Lipinski,  Ferret Endowment for Research, Rehabilitation,
Education & Training Society, North West, aka   F.E.R.R.E.T.S.,N.W., or
just plain simply, FNW.