From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:14:30 -0800
>If you are dealing with hair loss you won't see any grow back with
>des, only with melatonin implant does that get it to grow.

Deslorelin works in the same way that Lupron does. There are some
ferrets for which Lupron or des won't work because the tumors have
progressed to the point that the glands aren't receiving the hormone
signals that these drugs use. Similarly, there are cases where surgery
isn't a cure, because tumors can regrow, even after both adrenals have
been removed.

One of the clinical differences with deslorelin seems to be that the
timing of the medication is different. Obviously it lasts longer, but
the onset of effectiveness seems to be more delayed as well.

As to fur regrowth with Lupron and/or Deslorelin, fur does regrow with
both. Certainly, melatonin seems to help with both fur and muscle mass,
but Lupron/des will help fur come back. For just one of my experiences,
see the pictures at http://www.washingtonferret.org/support.htm
Angelo is a ferret that I nursed back to health, and you can see the
results for yourself. He was on Lupron and not melatonin.

Kevin Farlee
Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter