From:
"Paul L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 22:52:05 -0800
>regarding the Humane Society policy ...  Does this also imply that they do
>not support the breeding of dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc?  After
>all, the number of abandoned ferrets is no where near the number of other
>abandoned pets.

I actually wish that most people would stop supporting the breeding of cats
and dogs.  I go to pet stores and see kittens and puppies that people will
buy, keep for awhile, and then discard at the shelters.  There the animals
will wait for some kind hearted person to come rescue them.  The lucky ones
will be adopted and the rest killed.  During this time more puppies and
kittens are being bred and shipped to pet stores to continue the cycle.  I
hope ferrets never reach this level of popularity so they will never become
part of this horrific and inhumane treatment.

>On another note, can someone recommend a good source for cage building
>techniques and materials?

Yes, another note please 8-)  I am beginning to rant and that's no good.

I suggest that you go to a feed store in your area.  Rural areas are best
for this.  Many of them sell rabbits and have cages for them.  Look at the
construction of these, get some ideas, and design your own.  Now ask the
people at the store about the different kinds of wire sheets that you will
use for the sides and the different levels.  Also ask for the clips that
you will see connecting the different parts and some fencing plyers that
allow you to put the clips on.  Find someone helpful and you can get all
the info you need to build a $200 cage for $50 or so.

Paul

      "The tide is turning...the enemy is suffering terrible losses..."
                                                -- Gen. Geo. A. Custer

[Moderator's note: Probably most people on the FML are sympathetic to the
cat and dog over-population issue but it's really easy for this type of
discussion to get out of hand.  Let's try to keep it ferret-related.  BIG]