From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:34:01 -0600
Donations are still needed for the medical on some of the Utah fuzzies and
I see that we still need something like 261 donations to make our intended
donation goal.

Donated funds were spent on ADV test kits for this group with 200 test
kits at $9 each.  ADV testing is controversial.  Some believe it should
be done for all ferrets, particularly in rescue, and others put it at a
lower priority.  ALL of the Utah fuzzies tested were negative, those that
weren't exposed and those that MIGHT have been exposed.  Because the funds
were spent on ADV test kits, surgeries for some of the Utah fuzzies were
put on priority basis.  We still have several needing surgeries but no
funds.  Even though ADV was as widespread a few years ago, ADV testing
was not brought to the forefront of rescue until recently, so there are
more expenses with current day rescues.

Here's an idea - if you are pro ADV testing, please donate the cost of one
test kit - $9 - to SOS.  This will help replenish the funds spent on the
ADV test kits so the medical expenses for the Utah fuzzies can be paid.

In rescue, we need to weigh benefits and consequences of our actions.  We
were very blessed with the Utah relocation.  With the Utah rescue we were
faced with special challenges due to the Sept 11 tragedy, the large number
of ferrets needing relocated, mail and transporation issues, and the need
to move as quickly and safely as possible.  The majority of the ferrets
were sent to shelters where they could be ADV tested and regain their
health before being placed in loving responsible homes.

Rescue is expensive and beyond the money aspect it is emotionally and
physically demanding and draining.  Unless you have actually participated
in a rescue similar to this one, it is unlikely you can fathom to what
extent we've all paid (financially, physically, psychologically).

I was the lead coordinator on this effort so if anyone has any concerns
or grievances with the Utah relocation efforts, direct them to me.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity