From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:56:20 EDT
Well, it's true.  Sophie has passed on to wait at the bridge.  And from the
looks of my mailbox, the whole internet knows about it even though I didn't
send one piece of mail announcing poor Sophie's death.  I mean, not that I
don't appreciate everyone's condolances and sympathies... every note is so
touching.  It all just took me a bit by storm and I'm a little overwhelmed,
both by all the mail and the speed at which these little critters decline.

Sophie was born in early April 1991.  The first third of her life was
spent elsewhere.  She and her sister, Nellie, came to me several years
ago, soon after the death of Slink whom I still miss dearly.

A couple of weeks ago Sophie started slowing down a bit.  Well, after almost
7 and half years, that was to be expected somewhat, but things got worse
pretty quickly -- tumors were pressing her heart and lungs making it
difficult for her to breathe.  I fed her by hand for a couple of weeks and
she was gaining weight and her energy level was up, but more and more
frequently she would try to cough and gasp and during those times she was
in obvious discomfort.  The difficult decision was made on Sunday.

Sophie was the typical devil/angel ferret, getting into everything and yet
maintaining the look of total innocence.  I certainly will miss the little
sneaky explorer.

Nellie is sick too... though it's not clear with what in her case.  I'm
sure she misses Sophie too.

Anyhow, again, THANK YOU to everyone for the notes, cards and even a fund
set up.  I really am buried under all of this and have to attend to Nellie
frequently, but I will write each of you as soon as I can.  I sure hope
all 3000 of you don't write though!  Well, in a way I do, but you know
what I mean...

Bill