From:
Jaymi Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:10:09 EDT
Ever since we got Joe, he's had the most annoying quality in the whole
bunch--he digs his food out of the bowl.  He lives with Calvin and
Heidegger (these 3 are the most rowdy, so they live together) in a modified
(to make it safe) Midwest Cage--just for a quick background.  I've tried
different bowls--right now they have a bowl made for a parrot.  It clips on
the back and is up higher so they have to get up to get the food (no laying
down and eating for these kids!  *G*).  But, of course, the extra work
means nothing for Joe...it's a minor setback in his quest for scattered
food.  I've tried seeing if he just wants one sort of food, so each day
(after one day had been unsuccessful) I would fill up the bowl with one
type of food out of our mix.  Nope, no luck.  I've filled the bowl a
little, I've filled the bowl full, and everywhere inbetween.  This kid just
loves to dig out his food.  I've had him run until he's plopped on the
floor, and seems dead to the world, put him back in the cage with new food,
and it's like he's instantly revitalized--he starts a' diggin'.  It seems
to me from watching him do this that he just likes to eat his food off of
the cage floor.  He'll dig a bit, then eat what fell, and then start over.
Now, if this is the worst thing he is going to do, and there's nothing I
can do about it, oh well, I'll live with it.  But with the amount of food
he wastes every week, I'd like to do something about it :) If you have any
suggestions, please let me know.  Thanks!

Jaymi and the 6 Fur Covered Slinkies
RIP Bubba, Bear, Kirby, and Oppie