From:
William Killian - Zen and the Art of Ferrets
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:18:10 -0700
>Because they are Marhall Farms ferrets they are naturally smaller and
>thinner than most ferrets.Because they are Marhall Farms ferrets they are
>naturally smaller and thinner than most ferrets.
 ›and|
>then the inferior gene pool from Marshal Farms,

I get so tired of these false accusations about Marshall Farms ferrets.  I
know Kay and Michael didn't come up with these stories but they've been
passed around for years by folks who honestly don't know any better.

Early neutered ferrets are less fully developed than those allowed to reach
maturity before they are altered.  Marshall Farms ferrets are NO different
in that regards from any other early altered ranch ferret.  Path Valley and
all the other smaller ones are about the same.  I handle thousands of
ferrets a year and see no difference between the various early altered
ferrets.  I do see differences between early and late altered ferrets.  If
you only see Marshall and breeder late altered ferrets you will get the
wrong impression that the Marshall ferrets are thinner and smaller.  It is
the early altering that prevents full development which comes along with
sexual maturity.  There is also NO credible evidence that Marshall Farms
ferrets are any more prone to medical problems that any other ferrets.

There is a group trying to start up a truly scientific study to determine if
there is a link between early altering and medical problems.  I keep hearing
implausible stories about the size of the Marshall gene pool and other
things that are logically incorrect.  Marshall in their "closed" colony has
a wider gene pool than the "open" hobby breeder gene pool.

>From:  Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferrets and ships
>There was a town in Ohio back then nicknamed Ferretville because of all the
>ferret farms located there-- I suppose they'd sell to shipping companies
>located on the Great Lakes.

Check out a book by A R Harding "Ferret Facts and Fancies" published in
about 1943 which tells a lot about Ferretville, Northeast of Columbus.
Ironically the home of ferretville is pretty much surrounded by current
FFZs.  It was near train lines, not near shipping lines actually.  Book is
still in print for about $5!  Tells how ferrets were used in hunting and
ratting (rat extermination).  Along with really archaic care instructions.
What was the name of your book?  I'd love to be able to track it down for
our library.

>From:  Michael Runyon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 8 in 1 ferret food

8in1 dry food in basically incomplete without 8in1 Ferretone to bring up the
fat content.  They apparently add enough to the canned food to not need the
oil supplement.  8in1 is fine food but not our choice.  We are much happier
with Totally Ferret and the Iams foods.  But the 8in1 is actually
nutrionally sound as is the Marshall and Marzuri diets that we also choose
not to use.  The raisin flavor is pretty much a gimmick, but a hokey one in
my book.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/