Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:08:59 -0500
Hi all!

I am writing with a follow-up on Meep.  He has gradually lost weight (about
4 oz.) over the past several months.  At first I attributed it to seasonal
summer weight loss, but he never put it back on this fall and has continued
losing weight   s-l-o-w-l-y.  I had also found him trying to vomit on three
different times over the past week or so, but each time nothing came up.
In all other ways he seems normal and active - eating, drinking, pooping.

I took him to the vet yesterday and he did a regular x-ray as well as a
blood chemistry work-up.  The only thing that showed up was a slight
suppression of the immune system which our vet thought might be due to a
previous or existing infection.  He had also discussed that Meep might have
heliobachter (?sp) which is common in ferrets and could cause the symptoms
he has had.  He is putting Meep on an antibiotic for 10 days (I don't know
which antibiotic until I pick him up).

For those of you that have experience with heliobachter (?sp) does this
sound compatible with your experience?  Any other thoughts?.  Meep is my
sweet boy and I don't want to take any chances.  I had also thought it
could be a large hairball, but the vet didn't want to run a barium xray
until we saw how the antibiotic worked and as Meep doesn't seem in anyway
uncomfortable.

Karla