From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:16:14 -0500
Hello all and thank you for your kind contributions to Romeo's surgery.
Without you, his surgery wouldn't have been possible!

Romeo is home with me and doing well.  The surgery was about 2 hours long
and held no major complications.  They inserted a HUGE pin into his badly
broken leg and used wire to hold the fragments together.  His blood tests
show that he is mildly anemic but the vets believe that's because of the
break being left so long.  He'll be tested in 2 weeks for anemia again.

When I picked him up, I was expecting to see his leg all mangled up but
to my surprise, there wasn't even 1 bruise!  He has a medium sized
incision and 4 stitches with a tiny hole just above the 1st stitch where
they inserted the pin.  The site looks better than I thought!

He ate (with some trouble) 20 cc's of a/d last night. He slept in my room
last night and only woke to crunch his food, go to the bathroom and get a
drink. The only problem I had was that he SNORES lol!

So far he's doing great.  He has to be on total cage rest for 10 days
with a short (10 min) out of cage once a day starting tomorrow.  After 10
days, he goes back to the university to have the stitches removed and a
check up.  4 days later, he'll be checked for anemia to make sure he is
well.  Then he'll be allowed supervised out-of-cage time as long as he
doesn't try to climb or jump - yeah right.  This is one of those ferrets
we're all glad doesn't have thumbs!

The vet student who looked after Romeo after surgery says he has a HUGE
pain threshold and if he had thumbs, he could easily rule the world lol!
When he's 100% recovered, I can already see he'll be into everything!!!!

Thanks again to everyone who donated towards his care and to Reanee and
Nancy for allowing me to care for him and to Eric for driving him here.

Now for the best part of all.... When Romeo was brought to me, he had
been separated from his sister, Juliet.  Well, thanks to Paige, who will
be driving out to Montreal this weekend, Romeo & Juliet will be reunited
by Sunday night!!!!!  What a happy turn of events to a tragic story!

luv you all!

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society