Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:32:17 +0000
Thank you so much to everyone who has emailed with pre-surgical and
post-surgical suggestions for Oreo (LuvU) the surrendered ferret
with the leg that needed to be amputated to save his life.

We have taken some pre-surgery and post-surgery photos:
http://pets.webshots.com/album/562066908txDfSC

Update: He came home with us last night as we had the surgical vet's
office observe him as long as possible. As with most regular vet's
there are no overnight hospitalization staff. He was in pretty good
spirits, alert, eating our dook soup that we brought in with him that
morning. I made sure that I met with the surgical vet to review the
procedure, her observations, suggested after care and pain management.
He seemed to be doing ok and we are keeping him on the 0.01 Baytril 100
mg/ml drawn up with ferretone. As well I asked for some pain medicine
(torb) just in case it was the middle of the night if needed. Better to
have it on hand than wish you did is my rule. So she drew up two doses
to be given sub-q in case he needed it. During today he continues to
be stable but is a bit more fragile so we are closely monitoring him.
Although I have to say we are utterly amazed that he has used the
litter box (line with dust free paper towels and soft wash cloths)
by himself today and is resting in soft blankets shared by the other
ferrets who received some gifts from the Ferret Giving Tree.

Although the surgical vet was quite generous in discounting our bill
for him, but needless to say it is still a very large bill for the
shelter. We haven't quite seen the black ink yet after helping with
nine of the Ohio Ferrets.

We have placed several items on eBay to help pay his medical costs.
We have had some wonderful reviews and requests for our Dry Dook Soup
and have included it with our eBay items as well as some Ferret All
Occasion Greeting Cards and Ferret Get Well Gift Baskets. Yes, we can
get really creative when it really matters and he deserves a chance.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsouthshoreferretcare

Prayers graciously accepted,
Sincerely,
Diane Wall