From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 19:50:29 -0400
Dear Jonathan,

I'm sorry you're are having problems with your new pets.  I kinda think it's
better not to have pets that your parents don't want - but maybe that's just
the mother in me.

I have two sons and I know what it's like to "sneak" things in the house.
However, I am somewhat unusual in that I really like all kinds of critters.
But if your parents really aren't supportive of your having the ferrets, you
may never be able to please them.

For the best chance of reducing the smell, be sure to scoop/clean/change
their litter EVERY DAY.  If they have hammocks, tents, and towels in their
cage for sleeping and burrowing (and they should!) you should change and
wash these things once a week or more.  Ferrets don't usually need bathing
too often, and some ferret people think that bathing too much INCREASES the
odor.  I bathe mine every three or four weeks cuz they get actually dirty
from the dust and other pets in our house.  There are many ferret shampoos
at the pet store that will help.  There are also ferret deodorizing sprays
to carefully apply to their coats, but in my brief experience it doesn't
last more than a few hours.  Finally there are room deodorizing machines,
air purifiers, that work well but probably cost $100 give or take $$$.

But I'm really most worried about your family -- if they didn't exactly give
you permission and don't really want you to keep the ferrets, then your
problem is not odor - it's them!  It will be hard to change their minds.  Of
course, if you make a sincere effort, maybe they will be won over once they
see how cute they are.What area do you live in?  Maybe someone else who is
used to ferrets can take them for you if you aren't able to work this out.
Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Kat