From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 09:57:05 -0700
I suggest you find a **ferret knowledgeable vet**, that is, one who stays
abreast of the most current ferret medical information in the veterinary
community, and who has performed many, many successful ferret surgeries, and
has treated a large number of ferrets for several years.  The "closest" vet
is likely not the *best* vet for your ferrets.  Once you locate a vet that
is very familiar with ferrets (which are quite different than cats or dogs
which are the only animals most vets see regularly) take Nosey in immediately
for a complete check by this vet.  I've known many vets who hardly ever see
ferrets, overlook a serious and life-threatening problem just because they
didn't know to look for such a thing in a ferret.  Choosing the right vet is
the most important thing you will ever do for your ferret.  Make phone calls,
talk to every vet within 100 miles, talk to other ferret people to get their
suggestion, but in the end YOU have to make the final decision.  DO NOT be
intimidated by any vet!!  Ask the questions you need to ask!!  Sadly, many,
many ferrets have been killed by vets who didn't know enough about ferrets.

My first thought about Noesy's illness would have been to do an x-ray and
look for a foreign object (the most common reason ferrets vomit) or a barium
series with x-rays which might have shown a "clump" of sand (or other
soft/less dense material) in the intestinal tract which may be causing
problems.

The vet should also have checked the stool under a microscope to check for
bacterial infection.  Antibiotics would have been in order here.

What were the "pills" you were given for Nosey?

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter