From:
kirsten agnete correa de mello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 02:27:40 -0300
Please give an advise in the follwing case:

My ferret, 3 1/2 year old, male, started 2 weeks ago not to eat and
drink, and lost his livelyness, and mostly sleeps.  We forced him to eat
with porridge (furovite & Marshall special food) in syringe.  He vomited
3 times, something white stuff came out, but it has stopped now.

An ultrasound showed an irregular, enlarged pancreas, echogenic
parenctyma and heterogeneous echotexture.  Suggestion Pancreatopatio
(Pancreatite)?

The vet is treating him with serum, anti-inflamatory and antibiotic since
5 days, and he is getting a little bit better and eats and drinks a
little by himself but still not enough.  It is obvious that he is still
sick.

He has some tremors when we take him up, but is still very alive and
curious and runs around, but not very often.  He is never kept in a cage
and is alway running around in the house and is taken out for 30 minutes
long walks in the garden, and has exclusively lived on Marshall food and
furovite vitamines.

Please, let me know if he is treated in the right way as the vets in
Brazil are not specialized in treatment of ferrets.  And what is your
suggestion of his illness.

I thank you very much for your collaboration and look forward to your
soon comments.

Regards,
Kirsten Correa de Mello
Teresoupolis-RJ, Brazil