From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:37:22 -0700
They catch one kind of distemper, the same one that dogs and cats can
spread.

The ferret vaccination is a special kind made for ferrets. I am not
sure what type is currently being manufactured. Vets do not use canine
distemper vaccinations (the same ones they use on dogs and cats) and
so sometimes your prices will be more expensive as they have to order
a whole tray of ferret vax.

Here is what my vets told me about the boosters:

If your ferret is a little one, it will need three shots the first
year.You will have to look on their pet shop record to see how many
shots they already have. By age of 6 months they should have had their
three shots. This is done because each time the ferret gets the shot,
it "builds" the immunity, but one shot is said to not build 100%
immunity right away. Once the three shots are give to a baby ferret,
you are much closer to 100% than you would be with 1 single shot, or 2.

If you have an adult ferret who had never got any shots, you should
give two shots - one and then a booster. Again, this is because you
are building the immunity.

This is what my vets have both told me. I am not a vet and I am not a
scientist or anything, just relaying what information I have been given
about the ferret vaccines.

Laryssa